We just got word that Josh's uncle, Pista 'Steve' Geiger, passed away this morning -- just a few days shy of his 80th birthday. Josh and I were very fond of Steve and his wife Kris -- Lynne's sister -- and we just spent three nights with them in Palo Alto at the end of December before we came up to Seattle.
Steve had been diagnosed with "walking pneumonia" when we saw him three weeks ago, but at that point it seemed more like a nasty cold. He kept his distance from us as he didn't want to risk getting Josh sick right before the kidney transplant, but we still had a chance to catch up with him and talk about his upcoming birthday celebration.
After we left, he apparently took a turn for the worse, and was admitted to Stanford hospital. He did not respond to treatment, so they put him in a medically-induced coma while they ran all sorts of tests to pinpoint the cause of the problem. He hung in there for over a week, so we were hopeful that he would pull through -- which made it especially devastating to hear that he lost the battle this morning.
We loved Steve dearly and will miss him very much. Our hearts go out to Kris, Marc, Nikki, Jen, Jess, and the rest of the family.
Naina and Josh, I'm so sorry to hear this, especially after our conversation last night about him. I'm thinking of all of you. Please pass along my condolences to your family, Josh.
ReplyDeleteOh NO!! I am so, so sorry to hear this. Please give my condolences to the Fitzhughs.
ReplyDeleteVery sorry to hear of your loss.
ReplyDeleteI am very sad to hear of your loss. My prayers will be with you during your time of need. Sorry I have not checked in yet. I kinda missed getting in the loop with the blog, but now feel caught up. Its been a great thing to do.
ReplyDelete