I realize that as Josh improves, this blog has evolved from updates on his recovery to more of a travelogue. For us, that's great, because it means our own focus has shifted quite a bit over the past two weeks as well. I figure I might as well keep it up until we leave Seattle this weekend, since I still seem to have time to kill while Josh is napping.
I should backtrack a little to Monday, which we spent with our friends Rob & Diana, who were visiting from DC. We had lunch with our friend Elizabeth's younger sister, Susie, and her boyfriend at the
Oddfellows Cafe, after taking a tour of Susie's coworking space,
Office Nomads. Very cool. After lunch, we browsed around the
Elliott Bay Book Company and then stopped for some fantastic ice cream at
Molly Moon's. Then Rob had to go back to their hotel and do some work, so Josh and Diana and I walked around downtown for a couple hours.
 |
| No, Josh is not shrinking. Diana is standing on the curb, and Josh is on the street. | | | | | | |
|
|
|
In the evening, we had dinner at
Shuckers in the Fairmont Hotel. It was pretty good, but not quite as impressive as the dinner we had with Rob on Saturday night at
Blueacre Seafood.
Yesterday was a Bad Day -- as you know from my previous post. In addition to that, Josh had some bowel-related difficulties, despite all the medications he's taking to keep things moving along comfortably, so he was not feeling great. It was also cold and rainy, so we spent the day laying low at Priscilla's house and did not venture out until the evening to have dinner at cousin Portia's house.
This morning we were woken up by a strange bright light shining through the curtains. The sun! Long time no see... That perked us up a bit, so we ventured out with uncle Ken to Seattle Center to check out the
Battlestar Galactica exhibit at the
Science Fiction Museum.
 |
| Proof that we're really in Seattle! (Don't be thrown off by the blue sky...) |
We had no idea that Ken was a fellow Sci-Fi geek, but I think he was happy to find someone who was not only willing to see the exhibit with him, but was actually just as interested in it as he was. It wasn't a huge exhibit, but they did have some full-size spaceships as well as costumes and other props from the original series and the 2003-2009 version. I liked this diagram that attempted to sum it all up:
And these signs on the floor around the spaceships (which are only funny if you are a BSG fan):
After touring the rest of the museum, which is mostly from Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's personal collection (the world's richest geek!), and grabbing a quick lunch, we decided to take advantage of the nice weather and headed over to the Seattle Art Museum's
Olympic Sculpture Park. It's an oddly-shaped site that crosses a major street and the train tracks, but it has spectacular views and some great outdoor sculpture -- some of which were similar to those at the National Gallery sculpture garden in DC.
 |
| That's Mt Rainier off in the distance |
 |
| Fun with shadows |
 |
| Every sculpture garden should have a Calder |
 |
| Josh and Ken enjoy the view |
 |
| Art imitates Life |
We got home around 4:30 and Josh took a nap to recover from all the walking and stairs. I woke him up a little before 6, and we headed up to Ben's house for dinner, where the two brothers celebrated the 2-week anniversary of the kidney transplant. Ben is still doing well, although the doctors are making him pee every 2 hours (24/7) so his bladder doesn't get too full while the connection to the new kidney is still healing. That can't be fun. He has to keep track of his fluid intake and output, so he drinks all his beverages out of a pyrex measuring cup, and... well, there's another larger container in the bathroom along with a logbook. Ben has his weekly checkup tomorrow, so we should get another progress report before we head home on Saturday.
Monday was such a fun day--thanks for sharing it with me!! I love the picture of Josh and me. I have the opposite version, where we traded places and he looks about three feet taller than I am!
ReplyDelete