Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Progress Report

We got a phone call about an hour ago to let us know that Josh's kidney had been removed and they were sewing him back up.  Josh's surgeon just came into the waiting room to tell us that everything went very well.  He'll have a 7 cm incision in his abdomen where the surgeon reached in to pull out the kidney, and two smaller incisions from the laproscopes.  He told me to make sure Josh takes it easy for the next couple months or there's a risk of hernia.  Josh is on his way to the recovery room, but probably won't be awake for a couple hours.

I'm counting on all of Josh's cycling buddies to politely decline if Josh tries to get you to go for a ride with him before March.  He's not even supposed to drive a car for the next 6 weeks.  I'm kind of hoping for lousy weather for the next two months so he's less inclined to want to go out.

Laada just got an update on Ben.  They are transplanting the kidney now, and will call back in a couple hours to let her know how everything went.

Josh's dad had to leave for the airport right after we met with the surgeon.  I may hang out in the waiting room with Laada and Josh's mom for a little bit, and then head over to the recovery area to find Josh.  I'll post another update when we get news about Ben.

5 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm glad to hear Josh's surgery went well. SMALL HANDS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that's a huge if partial relief.

    7cm=2.75 inches. that is small.

    http://www.bjdcollectasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/1hands-cm.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!! That surgeon must have small hands. I'm so glad to hear things went well for Josh, and glad that he'll have just three smallish scars! I hope that all goes well for Ben. Please give everyone my best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a relief! Good, good news. Give everybody my love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naina that's so great to hear! We got your holiday card the other day and I've been thinking about you all day. Here's to a speedy recovery!!! Pl. tell Josh I said hello.

    ReplyDelete