Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ben Update

Ben's surgeon showed up in the waiting room around 5:30 to tell us that everything went well with the transplant.  It was a HUGE relief as we were starting to worry that there must be some complication that was causing the surgery to take much longer than anticipated.  The doctor did say that there was some scar tissue he had to work around, but he was mostly just taking the extra time to do everything right.  He also commented that it was a "good-looking kidney," which I'm sure Josh will be pleased to know.

We asked him some questions about how long he thought this kidney would last, and he estimated 16-18 years.  He also suggested visiting USTransplant.org to get the latest statistics and research on transplant survival rates.

Ben is in the recovery room now, and hopefully Laada and his mom will be able to visit soon.  I came back in Josh's room so I could share the good news with him (and you) before we try our luck for dinner at the hospital cafeteria.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! This is great news. Thanks for the updates, Naina! and give our best to Ben & Josh.

    I hope you found some delicious food in the cafeteria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, phew, phew. My love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything went well! Vivi and Annika are proud of you and looking forward to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I'm sending you lots of love. We're still planning to come out and visit you and Josh next weekend. We'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete